The Rocket Flame

Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Preparing+for+an+eventful+holiday%2C+Cameron+Fleming+%2810%29%2C+Hailey+Embree+%2810%29%2C+and+Jordan+Small+%2810%29+admire+Mrs.+Stum%27s+%28Faculty%29+decorated+door.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Preparing for an eventful holiday, Cameron Fleming (10), Hailey Embree (10), and Jordan Small (10) admire Mrs. Stum's (Faculty) decorated door.

Eva Dempsey, Staff

As children, we all got excited for the time of the year when Santa Claus came to town. We wrote letters telling him what presents we wanted and we set out homemade cookies along with fresh milk to energize him for his long journey ahead. On Christmas morning, we ran to the tree to see what toys awaited us and dreaded getting any clothes or shoes. Now, as we mature into teenagers, we see the old Santa Claus story to be childish, silly, and we find ourselves wanting the things we used to hate receiving as kids.

The community at James Buchanan has been seeing changes in their attitudes during the holiday season. Growing up and becoming an individual has made them alter what gifts they would like to receive on Christmas morning.

“Childhood [gifts] were more like games, toys,” said Rylynn Welsh (9).  “Now it’s just more like clothing.”

Waking up on Christmas morning at a younger age was one of the most exciting parts of the holidays for some students. Adrenaline and excitement flowed through them as they raced to their parents’ bedroom to tell them that Santa had come last night.

“When I was a kid, I was always up at 5:30 in the morning and wanting to open presents right away,” said Welsh.

While we reminisce in the good times we witnessed when we were little, we may notice Christmas becoming a less wholesome time. This may be due to us being more invested in ourselves and paying less attention to those around us.

“It’s [Christmas] not like, ‘Oh my gosh, Santa came last night,’” said Hunter Smith (10). “It’s more like, ‘I got presents and these are for me.’”

As teenagers undergo transitions into adulthood, it may seem like old morals established as children have diminished. But other students at James Buchanan feel that the values they hold during Christmas have not changed at all throughout their life.

“It’s not all about presents, it’s about being with your family,” said Smith, “so I don’t really find it [Christmas] more or less exciting than before.”

Although the holiday season may be slightly different from previous years, we can still enable it to be a special time to come together with your family and exchange gifts out of gratitude. We can still remember the good times from past Christmases and help us to have better Christmases in the near future.

“Waking up and seeing all the cookies eaten and a half-drank glass of milk,” said Smith referring to his childhood during Christmas.

As a school community, we may notice things in our lives changing slightly as the years go by, especially during this time of year. Students think that we are able to use these changes to our advantage and make every Christmas as cheerful as we can.

Eva Dempsey, Staff

Eva Dempsey is 15-years old and she is in her sophomore year at James Buchanan High School. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite food is pizza....

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Teens, A Life-Threatening Disease, and Love

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Every Mile is a Memory

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Singing, Dancing, and Vanilla Ice Cream – Oh My!

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Marching Into Women’s History Month

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Go See She Loves Me This Weekend!

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Can You Feel the Love Tonight?

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Have An Ice Weekend!

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

A Royal Night

• Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?

Entertainment

Winter Skincare

• Entertainment

Wanna Stay Warm? Do it in Style

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
Santa Tell Me, Are You Really There?