The Rocket Flame

Behind the Throne

Back to Article
Back to Article

Behind the Throne

Emma Gipe, Staff

Under the Friday night lights of Rocket Stadium, the 2019 Homecoming King and Queen were crowned.

Shupp (12) and Cormac Houpt (12) accepted their crowns after a eventful week of participating in spirit days and games during the pep rally. But what is it really like to be Homecoming King and Queen? What goes on behind the scenes?

Candidates campaigned all week to try to get votes from the student body. Posters and banners were hung all around the building to grab the attention of students. Some candidates even passed out cupcakes and candy to persuade students.

“Campaigning was awesome! I know that Kayla Locke (12) and I had a fun time participating,” said Houpt.

Some friendly competition went on to see who could go all out with the school spirit to rack in the votes since court couples were running against each other.

“Campaigning was really fun!,” said Shupp. “It was a little intimidating for Scott and I when we saw how much Kayla and Cormac were participating in Spirit Week.”

Banners advertising “Vote for Madi & Scott” and “Kayla and Cormac for Hoco King/Queen” were posted in the front of the cafeteria. In addition, posters with catchphrases and funny pictures were posted on lockers, doors, and even in the gym locker rooms.

“It took us a while to come up with catchy sayings for our signs, but we pretty much made all of the signs during activity period and study halls,” said Shupp.

Other candidates used another way to easily spread the word to many people at just the touch of their fingertips by snapping a picture and posting it to Snapchat.

“We didn’t do many banners,” said Houpt. “Most of out advertising was social media.”

The candidates also dressed up and participated in the spirit days. This years’ spirit days were Lounge Day, Dynamic Duo Day, Monsters University Day, Kingdoms Day and JB Spirit Day.

“My favorite spirit day was the JB Spirit Day,” said Shupp. “It was nice to see everyone in green and white and excited for the football game.”

Each couple dressed to correspond with who they were running with. Each day involved a new outfit to catch the attention of their peers.

“Scott and I would talk each night to plan out what we were going to do for the following day,” said Shupp.

After a week full of school spirit and participating in the pep rally, the candidates lined up on the track during halftime of the football game and anxiously waited for the results.

“I was very excited when I was crowned king,” said Houpt. “I knew it would be close because there was so many good candidates.”

To future Homecoming candidates, many students have passed through and became king and queen and many will do it after. This years’ seniors have some advice for next years’ candidates.  

“Just have fun with it! It’s a blast and it will be a memory you won’t forget!” said Shupp.

Emma Gipe, Staff

Emma Gipe is 17 years old and a junior at James Buchanan. Dance is her passion, and she does Jazz, Ballet, Lyrical, Pointe, and Tap.  She also serves...

• Behind the Throne

Features

Diving In At James Buchanan

• Behind the Throne

A Day in the Life

More Than Just A Class

• Behind the Throne

Features

Brooms, Mops, and Dustpans Oh My!

• Behind the Throne

Features

Where’s He’s Been, Where He Is, and Where He’s Taking Us

• Features

That Was Then, This is Now

• Behind the Throne

Features

Proud To Be An American

• Behind the Throne

Features

Sewing Together the Perfect Night

• Behind the Throne

Features

New Experiences and Changing Lives

• Behind the Throne

A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life of Mr. Strawoet

• Behind the Throne

Features

Marc Mero: An Inspiring Story

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
Behind the Throne