Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Educational Planning Night

Giving students the opportunity to seek out new classes and learn about various opportunities, the James Buchanan High School will be offering an Educational Planning Night open house on February 26. The open house will be from 6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. for students grades 8-11 and held in the JBHS cafeteria.

For students and parents to directly speak to teachers about their classes, departments prepared displays in order to share information about various class options and requirements.

“It’s a great opportunity to improve collaboration between teachers, students, and parents in the course selection process.  It’s a great way to showcase our wonderful staff, and all of the great work that they do. I’m very excited that we are able to offer this new program,” Mr. Chip Dickey (principal) said.

Graduation requirements guide students toward specific classes; however, students need six elective credits as well. This scheduling event will help students understand their options.

“I’m looking forward to the event so that parents and students can interact with teachers and staff on academic topics.  Seeing conversations about learning and making educational decisions for our future is so inspiring and I am thrilled JBHS is taking this step.  I’m hopeful that the community and families will take advantage of this opportunity.  Having everyone in one place at one time is such an amazing opportunity.  I know that the teachers have done loads of planning and preparation for the event and I can’t wait to see everything that they’ve put together,” Mrs. Jamie Zimmerman (vice principal) said.

For 8th graders transitioning to the high school, the guidance counselors will be holding a Middle School Forum question and answer session from 6:30 P.M. – 7:30 P.M.

“I think it is a great opportunity for parents to ask questions that they might have. It also gives parents the chance to be more involved with their children’s education,” Mrs. Megan Swailes (staff) said.

The scheduling window for students to submit their course requests via Skyward Student Portal are as follows: March 4 for 8th Grade Students, March 7-14 for all Grades 8-11.