Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Shooting for the Stars

Emma McCoy (10)
Emma McCoy (10)

Shooting for success, Emma McCoy (10) qualified for the national shooting competition. McCoy has been on her Rifle Team for the past three years, and she plans to advance her career to the collegiate level. 

“I think that making it to the college level would be something really cool and exciting,” McCoy said.

She takes her time in shooting the required types of guns and stances of competition, such as shooting air rifle and 22 in positions prone, kneeling, standing, and sitting. McCoy also shoots at a variety of targets like a digital target.

“I like to shoot the precision air rifle the best because it is more accurate,” McCoy said. 

McCoy puts in a lot of effort into shooting. She travels to Palmyra, Pennsylvania multiple times a week to work with her coaches to better improve her aim and stances. When unable to travel to the rifle team, McCoy practices holding her gun for hours every week. She also has a membership to the Chambersburg Rod and Gun Club where she works to improve her skills there as well.  

The team has traveled all over the country to compete in many matches all over Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio. Among shooting the team does other things like, enjoying friendly competition in playing ping pong and bowling. They also have swim parties and group hang outs.  

“My favorite part of being on the team is the friendships that I make with the other shooters and working with my coaches,” McCoy said. 

McCoy holds the first place for the national sub junior category, however she has recently graduated out of that category and strives to claim another national medal and make it to the Junior Olympics.