• June 1 - Graduation - Rocket Stadium - 6 PM

• June 1 - Last Day of School for Students

• May 19 - Prom - Green Grove Gardens - 7-10 PM

• May 11 - Teacher Inservice - No School for Students

• May 4 - Graduation Project due for Seniors!

• May 25 - Jamboree!

• May 9 - Decision Day!

• May 29 - Last Day for Seniors!

• May 21 - 25 - Senior Week

• May 21 - Yearbook Distribution during lunch periods only!

The Rocket Flame

Filed under Features, Off Campus

A Direction Towards FCCTC

Elena+McNulty%2C+10%2C+and+Tia+Campbell%2C+10%2C+are+two+students+who+attend+FCCTC.+
Elena McNulty, 10, and Tia Campbell, 10, are two students who attend FCCTC.

Megan Rummel

Megan Rummel

At school, you learn the basic subjects: Math, Science, History, English. There are some subjects that students excel in. These subjects may or may not play a role in students’ careers. There are many opportunities given to students that allows them to choose the right classes for their career. Franklin County Career and Technology Center, also known as Career Tech or FCCTC, offers classes that help students prepare for their future occupation.

Career Tech is considered a communal school that offers undergraduates a ‘hands-on experience’ through a specific line of work that students are interested in, such as nursing, veterinary assisting, cosmetology, and mechanics. Students from six different school districts attend, Tuscarora being one of them. This opportunity is offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Elena McNulty, 10, and Tia Campbell, 10, decided to apply for Career Tech.

During their freshman year, McNulty and Campbell talked to their guidance counselors about applying for Career Tech. They first heard of this opportunity from meetings that were held at school. There is an open house that takes place in November which students can attend to see what  is offered from Career Tech. If students are interested, they have to go through a small process first.

“Students have to fill out a form online through the Career Tech website,” guidance counselor Mrs. Brenda Ford (Faculty) said.

“Once students fill out their online application, the Career Center will make a list of students who have applied.” Ford said.

The process does not end with just an application, though.

“Students will then have to have an interview with one of the representatives from Career Tech,” said Ford.

“During the interview, they will ask a couple of questions and, by the end of the interview, the student will know whether or not they have been accepted into their program.” Ford said.

During the interview process, both McNulty and Campbell were a little anxious. They did not know how their interview would go, but were relieved to know their ending results.

“I was not expecting the interview to go the way it did,” Campbell said. “I only had to answer two questions and then I was told that I was accepted.”

McNulty and Campbell were both excited to be a part of the Career Tech community. They wanted to be better prepared for the future that awaits them.

“I have always wanted to be a nurse,” McNulty said. “Career Tech gives me a head start on the career I want.”

“I am studying to be a nursing assistant,” explained Campbell. “The Allied Health Shop at Career Tech helps me out tremendously.”

There are quite a number of students who attend Career Tech, which allows them to be in a well-rounded atmosphere.

Career Tech is diverse compared to James Buchanan. Everyone is pretty nice and it’s just a really good environment.”

— Elena McNulty

“The one thing that I like most about Career Tech are the people,” Campbell explained.

“They are very likeable and easy to get along with. The teachers try to answer questions as best as they can. They are really helpful in the way they teach us.” said Campbell.

Like any typical school, there is work that students have to accomplish. They have a lot of studying to do and students have to keep up with every assignment given.

“I am not in favor of having a lot of work being assigned, but it’s one of the many challenges, which is my favorite part about Career Tech,” McNulty explains.

“I like a challenge every once in awhile. The way we learn our materials is different because it is more workshop and application than just reading from a textbook.” said McNulty.

“I normally stay up late to study for tests the next day,” Campbell said.

One thing that I would advise students is that you study the materials and always listen to your teachers. You will not pass without studying.”

— Tia Campbell

The Career center promotes lifelong learning and prepares students who may need a secondary education. Their goal is to further help undergraduates achieve new knowledge in their field of study. Students use hard work ethics and dedication to help themselves in the long run of their education.

More information is available through the FCCTC website at http://www.franklinctc.com/

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

Sewing Together the Perfect Night

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

New Experiences and Changing Lives

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life of Mr. Strawoet

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

Marc Mero: An Inspiring Story

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

A Day in the Life

A Day In the Life of Dr. Stokes

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

The Secret Life of Shellie Viertz

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

World Trade at James Buchanan

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

From Student to Teacher

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

A Day in the Life

Day In the Life of Mrs. Amsley

• A Direction Towards FCCTC

Features

From Mexico to Mercersburg: Get to Know About Our Exchange Student Fernando

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
A Direction Towards FCCTC