Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Bump, Set, Spike into the Future

Enjoying the results from training, the yellow team, coached by Joel Rineer, stopped celebrating to let fans capture the moment. Top row from left: Abigail Jones, Olivia Miller, Anistyn Grove, Kerrigan Stoner, and Kaelyn Leedy. Bottom row from left:  Kynsleigh Linn, Cheyenne Barnes. 

Preparing for the future of volleyball in the Tuscarora district, Head Coach Erica Piper and JV Coach Jason Ellis created the IGNITE James Buchanan Youth Volleyball Program. Girls in fifth sixth grade have the opportunity to play in organized games. 

The program holds games on Saturdays starting at 10 am. Currently there are 34 girls, divided into four teams. The coaching consists of JBHS Alumni Sarah (Harryman) Shine, Mckenzie Layton, Tyana Quivers, Tiffany (Hunberger) Corl, and Joel Rineer (husband of Erica Piper). 

To accommodate the stature of the youth players, the coaches created accommodations including a shortened court and utilization of a lighter volleyball. 

Coach Piper said, “I am hoping that giving the girls an opportunity to experience the game of volleyball at a young age is going to be beneficial as they play competitive volleyball at the middle and high school level. Not only are they learning volleyball skills, but they are learning the valuable lesson of working together as a team to be successful.” 

Future opportunities at the end of this league include: open gyms, summer league, and summer volleyball camp which had roughly around 78 girls attend this past summer. 

Coach Piper would like to thank the JV and Varsity teams as well as parent volunteers for giving their time on Saturday mornings for the clinic . 

If you have any questions regarding the IGNITE program or about camps, reach out to Coach Piper at [email protected].  

Come out and see the IGNITE fire up the volleyball court. The last game, a tournament style play, will be held on October 14 starting at 9 am.

Picture credit Brandy Linn