Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Boys Tip-Off Tournament

Elicia Carrington
Junior Andrew Crouse jumps for the tip.

In its first round Tip-Off Tournament game against Mifflin County at Greencastle High School on Dec. 1, the James Buchanan (JB) boys basketball team lost 40-67. It was a tough game, but the Rockets showed great resilience by not getting down on themselves as they prepared for the next game.

After Greencastle defeated Hanover 55-47, JB and Hanover met in the second round.

JB started strong against Hanover, leading with 12 points in the first quarter. The team continued to put up points and faced any challenge thrown at them in the second quarter reaching halftime tied 33-33 and ready to win.

“During halftime at the Hanover game, I was locked in and ready to win with my team,” junior Jake Miller said.

The boys battled throughout the last two quarters and did not stop playing until the buzzer. Teammate support was excellent, and even those who did not get to play continued to cheer and show their teammates they cared throughout the game.

The final score went against the Rockets, 58-69, but the team showed clear improvement from the previous game.

Mifflin defeated Greencastle 43-34.

Andrew Crouse scored 14 points on the second night of the tournament and was honored by being selected for the Tip-Off Tournament all-tourney team.

“I felt very accomplished since I got the award,” said Crouse. “I felt like all the work I put in at practice is paying off.”

“I feel like we all played hard tonight. Props to the other team, they shot the ball well. I don’t think anyone thought we could come here and make any noise, but we did. I’m proud of my team,” senior team captain Devin Majors said. “I think we have to tune a few things offensively, but other than that, we’ll learn and move on to the game next Wednesday. There was great support from the crowd and bench tonight too. As a team, I felt like we played our hearts out till the last second. I also really appreciated all of the support my teammates were putting forth. I really liked being able to cheer alongside them. We are a true team.”