• June 1 - Graduation - Rocket Stadium - 6 PM

• June 1 - Last Day of School for Students

• May 19 - Prom - Green Grove Gardens - 7-10 PM

• May 11 - Teacher Inservice - No School for Students

• May 4 - Graduation Project due for Seniors!

• May 25 - Jamboree!

• May 9 - Decision Day!

• May 29 - Last Day for Seniors!

• May 21 - 25 - Senior Week

• May 21 - Yearbook Distribution during lunch periods only!

The Rocket Flame

Coming to a Close

Kirstyn Black, Staff

Twirling flags, beating drums, counting, and lights.  Practice, practice, practice is all the indoor program has done since day one in preparations for championships.  On April 7 and 8 the James Buchanan High School Indoor program attended championships in hopes that all their hard work and dedication during the season had paid off.

“We start out with a really good warm-up,” said Mrs. Sheryl Deike (Faculty), “We kinda chunk things along the way.”

Each rehearsal begins with a warm-up that can include anything from running, to rhythm exercises, to tossing flags.  To ensure the best possible outcome, each Indoor member must be fully loosened up and ready for each rehearsal.

Both indoor guard and percussion practice every day after school.  After their warm-up they move to the show. This year Indoor Percussion performed “The Noise Inside” and Indoor Guard performed “Evil Alice.”

This year’s Championships began with the Indoor members arriving at the school at 9 a.m.  They began to do run-throughs of both of their shows trying to perfect every detail. Shortly after their arrival. the Indoor program left bound for Chambersburg Area Senior High School.  

Once they got there they sat and relaxed before their performance at 1:30 p.m.  The pressure continued to build as the Indoor members guide took them to their practice spot.  Keeping the members updated on time, the guide, would periodically tell the members how much time they had left.  Each update brought on more nerves as the performance became closer and closer. Soon the time came for performance and the guide took the indoor members to a waiting spot before performing.

“We were excited, nervous, but confident,” said Deike.

The nerves between regular competitions and championships have grown more tense as the clock continues to tick towards the finale of the season.

“This is their moment to shine that each one of them has been given a gift and a talent and there is no one else that can take their spot on the floor, off the floor,” Deike said. “It is up to them now to go out and take everything that they have learned and just put it out on the floor.”

Guard took fifth place with a score of 80.980 and percussion took third place with a score of 84.20.  

Deike said,“There’s no next week, no next time, it is now, now is their time to shine.”

As championships came to an end so did the season.  Each group had a very successful season and look forward to having a successful season next year.

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

Advice for College Freshmen From Alumnae

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

“Houston, We’re Ready For Take Off!”

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

Do You Drive?

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

Breaking Out

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

Are You Guilty of Distracted Driving?

• Coming to a Close

Entertainment

The Financial Reality Fair

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

Getting a Head Start on College: Do Honors and AP Classes Help?

• Coming to a Close

News

Showcasing Our Students Art: Ensemble of the Arts

• Coming to a Close

On Campus

What is Student Media?

• Coming to a Close

Features

Marc Mero: An Inspiring Story

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
Coming to a Close