Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Carnegie Mellon STEM Summer Program

Applications Now Being Accepted for the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University 
Carnegie Mellon STEM Summer Program

The Pennsylvania Department of Education is pleased to announce that the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University is now accepting applications from talented high school juniors for the summer 2024 program.

PGSS is an intensive, five-week summer residential program that emphasizes cooperative learning and hands-on laboratory research for high school juniors pursuing careers in science and mathematics.

With the support of Governor Josh Shapiro, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Carnegie Mellon University and its alumni, the program offers an enrichment experience in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The goal of the program is to encourage Pennsylvania’s youth to pursue careers in STEM-related fields.

Accepted applicants will receive a full scholarship to the program. Costs are underwritten through matching funds provided by PGSS Campaign, Inc., the school’s alumni, Carnegie Mellon University, parents, and corporations.

Awarded scholarships will cover the costs of housing, meals, and all instructional materials. Families are responsible for transportation to and from the university, personal items, and spending money. Students must commit to living on campus at Carnegie Mellon University throughout the duration of the program.

Details – Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Sciences

When: June 23, 2024 – July 27, 2024

Where: Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA

Who May Apply: The program is open to high school juniors at time of application who attend a public, nonpublic, or private school or are homeschooled.

Deadline to Apply: Completed applications must be emailed per instructions on the website http://sciences.pa-gov-schools.org no later than January 31, 2024.  Applications emailed after this date and time will be disqualified.

For additional information about the program and to complete an application, visit http://sciences.pa-gov-schools.org.