Breaking News
  • March 21Easter Break - March 29-April 1
  • March 21March 28 - 1 pm dismissal
  • March 21MP 3 ends March 26
The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

The Rocket Flame

Graduation 2023

James Buchanan High School Assistant Principal Jamie Zimmerman presented the 168 members of the Class of 2023 to Superintendent Rodney Benedick on Friday, June 2 at 6:30 PM at Rocket Stadium. The class also celebrated graduating senior Ezra Poe’s birthday.

Unable to attend the ceremony in person due to his daughter’s graduation at Waynesboro High School, Principal Chip Dickey prerecorded the welcoming speech played to commence the evening. He honored the class for their innovative and resilient characters as they faced the challenges throughout their four years. 

Class president Wyatt Boyer inspired his classmates as it is now “time to start adulting”. He also encouraged them to appreciate the little things in life and to “fight for the life we love and desire… keeping in mind other people’s perspectives”.  

Sidney Fleming, salutatorian, reminisced the challenges the class faced such as the hemp field, FID days, SWAT teams, and a freezing green pool. She reminded peers that they are entering a new phase of life which is “simultaneously one of the most freeing days of our lives, and one of the most intimidating”. No matter what the future brings she believes students from the class of ‘23 can “persevere, just like we have these past four years”.

Thanking teachers for “creating a safe and supportive learning environment that helped us grow as both students and individuals”, valedictorian Bryson Embree reminded everyone of the dedication teachers show throughout the year. He specifically thanked his math teacher Mr. Wise for inspiring him to pursue mathematics in college. Embree ended by saying that the class members are “the future of the country, and looking at the wide array of interests and aspirations, the future will be bright”. 

Retired math and Engineering teacher, William Brooks was honored to address the class and said it was a “privilege of working at JBHS with these young adults.” He encouraged the graduates to learn something new every day and gave them sage advice. “My advice to you is to find something in your world that you can make simple and not have to stress about. Even though that simple change may cause people to talk about you and wonder what makes you tick, that is OK.”

Many graduates begin their journeys at various schools across the country including Arizona State, Carnegie Mellon, Elizabethtown College, Gettysburg College, Penn State, Point Park University, Sight and Sound Theater, University of North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Washington and Lee University and West Virginia University while others head to boot camps to serve our country or begin “adulting” in the workforce.