The Rocket Flame

A Spook-tacular Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Spook-tacular Day

Getting into the Halloween spirit, Jacob Troupe (11), Nick Alfree (11), Patrick Hicks (11), Zach Slodysko (11), Dylan Poffenberger (11), and Mason Younker (11) dress up as the band KISS.

Hannah Kimmel, Editor

October is a season full of carving pumpkins, dressing up, and lots of sweets. Student Council decided to celebrate this season by hosting a pumpkin-decorating contest, costume contest, and senior trick-or-treating.

Every year Student Council hosts a pumpkin-decorating contest. The contest allowed homerooms to show off their creative side by painting pumpkins. The pumpkins are judged by teachers who come down and decide which pumpkin is the best.

“I enjoyed being a judge for the contest,” said Hillwig. “It’s cool to see how creative the students can be.”

Homeroom 301 (Art) won the contest with their Oscar the Grouch-themed pumpkin. The homeroom was rewarded with a breakfast provided by Student Council. The breakfast includes bagels, doughnuts, and fruit.

The Art Homeroom Oscar the Grouch Pumpkin

“All the pumpkins were so unique,” said Claire Kriner (11). “I never would have thought to paint a pumpkin like they were.”

At the end of the day, Student Council members will dress up in Halloween costumes and deliver the pumpkins to local nursing homes, including Shook Home and Menno Haven.

“My favorite part of the pumpkin-decorating is visiting with the elderly and seeing how happy their reactions are,” said Kriner.

The next event Student Council planned was the costume contest. The costume contest lets students dress up as something of their choosing. The categories were: Most Creative, Best Couple, Best Group, Scariest, and the Most Funny. Student Council then chooses a random selection of teachers to judge the contest. The pumpkins this year were judged by Troy Hillwig (Faculty) and De-bra Blair (Faculty).

“The judging was tough,” said Hillwig. “There were some great costumes like Bonnie and Clyde and Raining Men.”

Dressing up as Bonnie and Clyde, Jackie Wagaman (12) and Aaron Stone (12) pose for a picture.

The final event to wrap the Halloween festivities up was senior Trick-or-Treating. The event enables seniors to dress up in costumes and go around to teachers who give out candy. Not only do the students dress up, but the teachers participate as well to get into the Halloween spirit.

Dressing up as Captain America Brian Stull (Faculty) participates in Senior Trick-or-Treating.

“My favorite thing is senior Trick-or-Treating because students are acting like they are younger again,” said Lynn Fleury-Adamek (Faculty).

From dressing up to getting lots of sweets, the day was filled with Halloween fun for students and faculty to enjoy.

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

14 Things To Get Your Mom For Mother’s Day

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

2019 Special Olympics

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Stay Busy Over Summer

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, I’d Like To Go To Prom With You

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

James Buchanan Indoor Guard

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Reaching Past Teaching

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Teachers Take on Bucket Lists

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Teens, A Life-Threatening Disease, and Love

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Every Mile is a Memory

• A Spook-tacular Day

Entertainment

Singing, Dancing, and Vanilla Ice Cream – Oh My!

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
A Spook-tacular Day