• June 1 - Graduation - Rocket Stadium - 6 PM

• June 1 - Last Day of School for Students

• May 19 - Prom - Green Grove Gardens - 7-10 PM

• May 11 - Teacher Inservice - No School for Students

• May 4 - Graduation Project due for Seniors!

• May 25 - Jamboree!

• May 9 - Decision Day!

• May 29 - Last Day for Seniors!

• May 21 - 25 - Senior Week

• May 21 - Yearbook Distribution during lunch periods only!

The Rocket Flame

What on Earth are You Doing on Earth Day?

Surrounded+by+lush+plants+and+flowers%2C+a+tree+grows+in+the+safety+of+old+rubber+boots+
Surrounded by lush plants and flowers, a tree grows in the safety of old rubber boots

Sarah Kimmel, Staff

It’s April 22, 1970. Nobody seems to be noticing the increasing pollution in the air from cars and factories or the damage that oil spills can have like the one that occured a year prior in Santa Barbara, California. That is everyone except for a Wisconsin senator by the name of Gaylord Nelson. Using the zest and motivation from the students and people holding anti-war protests against the Vietnam War, Nelson decided to create a national day in honor of environmental awareness; this day is known as Earth Day.

When the first Earth Day occured in 1970, it was a huge hit. According to The History of Earth Day article, 20 million Americans took part in rallying and cleaning the Earth. Many schools would even hold demonstrations teaching people about the effects of pollution. From there, Earth Day became an annual event that is always celebrated on April 22.  

The next big celebration of Earth Day took place in 1990. On this year, Earth Day spread from only being honored in America, to being honored worldwide. The number people that celebrated Earth Day grew from 20 million to 200 million throughout 141 countries.

Today, Earth Day is celebrated by over a billion people all over the world. Within our school, there are several people who are planning on commemorating this day. For instance, the James Buchanan Student Council is planning a service event for Earth Day. One of the co-chairs of the Community Service Committee, Claire Kriner (10), hopes to clean waste around the school or even the town of Mercersburg during the weekend.

“Every month, the Community Service Committee co-chairs have to come together and scheduled an event or activity which the student council has to participate in,” Kriner said. “For April, we saw Earth Day as a perfect opportunity to give support to the environment and clean up trash.”

A teacher at James Buchanan, Mr. Michael Mele, is a huge advocate for the environment. Every year, Mele and his family always take time out of the day to recognize how important a clean and healthy environment is.

“Protecting the environment is one of the most important things we can do as people, not just for ourselves, but for our kids and then their kids and so on,” Mele said. “Every year, my wife and I recognize Earth Day and talk about it with our kids and tell them the importance of protecting the environment. Then we usually plant a tree every Earth Day.”

Many people view the Earth’s environment and how important it is differently. However, Earth Day brings many people together to honor our one and only home, Earth.

• What on Earth are You Doing on Earth Day?

Entertainment

Senior Trip to Cedar Point

Features

Sewing Together the Perfect Night

Features

New Experiences and Changing Lives

Off Campus

April Snow Causes May Flowers to Not Grow

Off Campus

Taking a Closer Look at Prom 2018

Entertainment

Lessen the Stress- How Prom expenses are still rising and how to keep costs down

Off Campus

Bringing Home the Gold

Entertainment

The New Shop in Town

Entertainment

Traditions of Hanukkah

Off Campus

The Flu Ends With You!

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School