The Rocket Flame

Filed under Sports

The World of Wrestling

Find out how James Buchanan wrestling team did the 2017-18 season and what the future holds for them.

The+official+proclaims+Logan+Miller+%289%29+winner+of+the+match.++
The official proclaims Logan Miller (9) winner of the match.

Hannah Kimmel

Hannah Kimmel

The wrestling season is coming to a close as the James Buchanan Varsity Wrestling team enters their championship season.

This season started out strong with eleven wrestlers; for nine of them, it was their first year on the Varsity Wrestling team. Many new faces brought a lot of hope to the wrestlers, and they wanted to win matches for the team. Although they didn’t have a winning season, the boys were closer as a team than last season.

“I feel like this team, this year, was a lot stronger and a lot more bonded than years in the past,” said Jaelin Carmak (12), the only senior and team captain. “Just as a team, in general, we bonded real well and I feel like that’s a bigger win than actually winning a dual meet.”

Even though they weren’t able to win any meets, there were a lot of individual wins for some of the wrestlers, which helped boost morale and spirit.

James Buchanan’s wrestling team is very young with only one senior leaving this year; many of the wrestlers will be coming back next year to continue where they left off. Carmak’s teammate, Hunter Smith (9), plans to return for the next season.

“We need more experience. We need more talent and wrestlers, have more people out there and join the team,” said Smith.

Smith believes these are the ingredients they will need for next season, especially with how young the team is. There were six freshmen wrestlers this year, making up over half of the team.

For what the team lacks in their numbers, they make up for in their dedication and focus.

“When you go out there on the mat, you wouldn’t think six minutes of wrestling is real hard, but you’re using every muscle out there,” Carmak said. “You use muscles you wouldn’t even think you would.”

To be able to wrestle even just six minutes on the mat requires hours of training at practices. The wrestler’s condition by running two miles every practice, then they do drills to better their coordination and flexibility. They also learn different moves, so they are able to pin the competition and live wrestling and doing their own moves.

Though the practices are tough and tiring the wrestlers love their sport. Carmak and Smith both agreed that the best part of the season were the bus rides to and from the matches. There, the boys would talk and relax. It bonded them closer as a team making them feel much like a family.

The Wrestling team has been through a long and grueling season, but they are all looking forward to competing in Sectionals, February 17, at Susquenita High School. From there if wrestlers place in the top three they move onto Districts.

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

Sprinting Into Spring

• The World of Wrestling

Off Campus

Bringing Home the Gold

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

Just Keep Swimming

• The World of Wrestling

On Campus

SEM Keeps the Ball Rolling

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

Rockets Block Out for Pink-Out against Big Spring

• The World of Wrestling

Features

Making Memories on the Green

• The World of Wrestling

Features

Goals of Recovery

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

What Lies Ahead for Rocket Football?

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

The Secret Behind Distance Running

• The World of Wrestling

Sports

James Buchanan Flag Football

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School
The World of Wrestling