• June 1 - Graduation - Rocket Stadium - 6 PM

• June 1 - Last Day of School for Students

• May 19 - Prom - Green Grove Gardens - 7-10 PM

• May 11 - Teacher Inservice - No School for Students

• May 4 - Graduation Project due for Seniors!

• May 25 - Jamboree!

• May 9 - Decision Day!

• May 29 - Last Day for Seniors!

• May 21 - 25 - Senior Week

• May 21 - Yearbook Distribution during lunch periods only!

The Rocket Flame

Dancing the Night Away for Valentine’s Day

At+the+Sadie+Hawkins+dance%2C+Tia+Campbell+%2810%29%2C+Victoria+Hutchison+%2811%29%2C+Mercedes+Shank+%2811%29%2C+Kristin+Embly+%2811%29%2C+and+Jade+Hornbaker+%2811%29+enjoy+their+time+together.+
At the Sadie Hawkins dance, Tia Campbell (10), Victoria Hutchison (11), Mercedes Shank (11), Kristin Embly (11), and Jade Hornbaker (11) enjoy their time together.

It has always been a tradition for the boy to ask the girl to the dance. However, modern times have proved to change this tradition, now it is has become common for a girl to ask a guy. It hasn’t always been this way, but a chance could arise for a girl if there was a “Sadie Hawkins Dance.” A Sadie Hawkins Dance is designed for a girl to ask the guy to the dance, but Sadie Hawkins was not originally a dance.

According to Sporcle’s blog article, Sadie Hawkins is a character from, Li’l Abner, a comic strip during the Great Depression. Sadie Hawkins was a young adult, in a fictional town called Dogpatch. Sadie was having trouble finding a husband, so her father held a race for marriage prospects. The men would run and whoever Sadie could catch would become her future husband.

This comic interested many women who did not want to marry traditionally, and choose their own husband. The comic strip features Sadie Hawkins in 1937 and the first Sadie Hawkins dance in 1938 at the University of Tennessee.

Dancing to a slow song, Chelsea Wareham (11) and Dean King (10) smile as they talk to one another.

Since it was the final Student Council-hosted dance of the year, dance chairs Kristin Embly (11) and Shaelyn Kaiser (11) decided they wanted to do something different than past years, a Sadie Hawkins Dance.

“As a dance chair you want to make each dance different and have one aspect that makes it stand out so people will want to come,” Embly said.

Embly and Kaiser then had to choose a theme for the dance to base decorations around, as well as the time of year.

“We chose Paris as the theme, because you think of love and happiness when you think of Paris,” Embly said.

It is not easy for Student Council to have a dance; it requires months of planning, making and buying decorations, creating posters, decorating the cafeteria, as well as finding chaperones.

“My favorite part about preparing for the dance is the design concept. I love to make decorations, and place them in certain areas I think will work,” Embly said. “I’ve always loved to design layout and decorations”.

Embly and Kaiser kept other students’ suggestions in mind while they were planning the dance.

“Lots of students love the idea of a Sadie Hawkins Dance,” Embly said. “We have also gotten a lot of positive feedback for the theme, as well as having food at this dance.”

Enjoying the music Erin Copenhaver (12), Izabella Fuller (10) and Samantha Mumper (11) dance and sing to the music.

Student Council planned to make it one of the best nights ever for the students, carefully planning everything from the DJ to the decorations.

“Over all, the dance went really smooth,” Student Council member, Tia Campbell (10) said. “We had a lot more people attend than we thought we were going to have.”

The Sadie Hawkins Dance took place February 10 and the student body danced the night away under the red gossamer hung from the cafeteria ceiling, with the ladies having first choice of their dates.

• Dancing the Night Away for Valentine’s Day

Entertainment

Senior Trip to Cedar Point

Entertainment

Godspeed Totem Pole

Entertainment

The Financial Reality Fair

Entertainment

What Is So Egg-Citing About Easter?

• Entertainment

From Classroom to Stardom

Entertainment

Find Out the Benefits of Spring Cleaning!

• Entertainment

The Story of St. Patrick’s Day

Entertainment

Beware of the Ides of March

Entertainment

Don’t Fight the Light

Entertainment

Ready? Set? Race!

The Student News Site of James Buchanan High School