Don’t Make Math a Task, Just Ask!

45 minutes may not be long enough to understand the quadratic formula, but some extra help can go a long way.

If you’re one of many students looking for extra help understanding the mysteries of mathematics then all you have to do is ask the math tutors.

Every activity period in the library, any student is able to go down and receive aid in school work; all they have to do is ask one of the ten math tutors for help.  

Their goal as a program is to encourage students to ask questions.

“We want students who are struggling to realize we only got to where we are by asking questions,” said Nick Garbinski,12, one of the math tutors

The advisor and co-founder of the math tutoring program, Mr. Michael Mele, Faculty,  is also a promoter of asking questions.

“My job is to let them [the students] figure things out and ask questions when they need some guidance and clarification,” said Mele.

The math tutors hope to achieve the focus and effort that is based on Mele’s beliefs and the objective of the math tutoring program overall.

“I realized how much I enjoy being down in the library, helping others or receiving help,” said Jae-lin Carmack, 12, another tutor who volunteers his time every activity period.

For the people who partake in math tutoring, asking questions has helped the program better answer similar concerns from other students.

“I needed help significantly, and slowly but surely I’m improving,” states Colby Shingler, 10, currently taking Algebra 1. Shingler is a regular at the library and feels the tutoring program has played a major role in improving his math skills.

The math tutors have anywhere between two to five people come to the library a day with questions on homework. They hope by promoting thought-provoking questions, more students will come asking for help.

The math tutors will continue to aid others until the end of the year and start all over again once more with the new school year.

Carmack advised, “Never be afraid to ask questions because without questions you get no answers and without answers everyone’s clueless.” 

The Rocket Flame • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Rocket Flame
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal