Homecoming: Let Me See Your Green and White!

With Homecoming week, game, and dance quickly approaching, the JBHS students are ready to showcase their school spirit!

StuCO+prepares+for+Homecoming+with+signs+that+explains+the+theme+days+of+the+week.+

StuCO prepares for Homecoming with signs that explains the theme days of the week.

As the streamers are ready to be hung, the balloons being filled with air, the votes being counted for Homecoming king and queen, and the bitter October air, everyone knows that that means! The James Buchanan High School is preparing for the well known event, Homecoming.

“Homecoming is the first dance of the year, it is the freshman’s first dance and they get to see how different it is from middle school.” Said Gwenhvier Hunt, 11, a student who has been attending the Homecoming dances since freshman year.

Homecoming this year will be on Oct. 7 from 7-10 p.m. in the James Buchanan High School cafeteria. The Homecoming game and parade will be on Oct. 6. The parade consists of school groups who volunteer to showcase themselves as they walk down the track. The football game will be up against our competitors Frederick High School.

Performing at the football game, the JBHS Rocket Band will be showcasing their show, “Classical Madness.” The Rocket Band will also be saying goodbye to their many seniors as they walk down the track with their parents.

Also walking with their parents across the field, the seniors of both the football team and cheerleading squad get praised for their personal accomplishments throughout the year with lots of clapping and support from their peers

“It’s really fun to do all the dress ups, and to participate in the activities.” Hunt explained her thoughts on the Homecoming spirit days.

The JBHS Student Council puts on certain theme days of the week, and will ask the students to  get in on the spirited fun. Monday is Decade Day, where you dress up from your favorite decade of time. Tuesday is Twin Day, where two people dress alike to show school spirit. Wednesday people will show off their ball gowns and bling with a “Walk Down the Red Carpet.”  Thursday is a throw back to when you were a child. Friday dig out the black spirit wear so you can show school spirit with a total blackout at the game and pep rally.

The Student Council, as well as the Homecoming king and queen candidates work hard to go above and beyond to get the student body hyped by participating in all the spirit days and using this week to hopefully gain your vote.

The 2017 Homecoming candidates for the boys are: Jae-Lin Carmack, Jackson Ellis, Noah Shank, Austin Sheppard, and Hunter Sowers.  For the girls the candidates are:  Kirstyn Black, Megan Hoffeditz, Abby Mackling, Mackenzie Shughart, and Renee Sollenberger.

The student body will cast their votes the week of Homecoming. The votes will then be counted, and the winner will be announced at the Homecoming game on Friday. 

The Homecoming pep rally takes weeks of planning. “It takes a while to figure out what kind of games the candidates are gonna do and who all is going to perform and what is gonna happen in what order,” said StuCo Vice President Madison Shupp.

The pep rally that takes place on that Friday of homecoming week, is a chance to get students excited about the game and parade that night.

“The pep rally isn’t just thrown together at the last minute,”

— Madison Shupp

In the 2017 Homecoming pep rally, you will see school spirit being represented by The JBHS Rocket Band, the JBHS cheerleaders, sports teams, and then will end the program with some fun and games with the candidates.

With the festivities ending on Friday, the part everyone looks forward to happens Saturday night as you “walk the red carpet” to the Homecoming dance.

“I like getting all dressed up and the preparation that comes with it….I can’t wait to make memories that I can make and take to college” Katlin Shatzer, 12, said about her last  homecoming dance.

According to Student Council, the dance is going to be like you are walking down the red carpet into a glamorous setting filled with Hollywood props, with colors of gold, silver and lots of glitter. Also the dance floor will be filled with well known music from a local DJ. The 2017 Homecoming dance is destined to be a memory that you will remember forever.