Advice for College Freshmen From Alumnae

In the library lobby of James Buchanan High School, a banner hangs where students and faculty can write advice and inspiring words for seniors that are graduating.

It is the middle of the summer, and you are roaming through the aisles of stores trying to shop for your dorm. There are so many things in so many colors, and you do not know where to start. You’re asking yourself questions like:

“Do I need a duster?”

“Should I get a planner to plan out my week?”

“Should I buy this value pack of Ramen so I can save up money?”

These are all questions that have been asked many times before, and they will continue to be asked many times in the future, but the advice from a few alumni who asked the same questions should set you in the right direction.

James Buchanan Alumni Class of 2017, Veronica Harmon, Lebanon Valley College, and Kayla McKenzie, Millersville University, wanted to share some advice that they wish they had when they were going into college as freshmen.

First of all, moving into college can be a hassle, so take necessary precautions to avoid any unnecessary struggles.

“Having all your stuff organized before going there is very handy,” said Harmon. “Having your clothes together, having your toiletries together, and so forth, is very helpful, so you are not looking for random stuff that could be in any box.”

To maintain a tidy dorm room, work with your roommate to keep your dorm room clean.

“I am a very clean person, so I have everything clean always, but my roommate was quite different than that.” Harmon said.  “Understanding whose responsibility is whose [is important], like I took out the garbage when she took out the recycling.”

Scheduling can become a lifesaver when it comes to staying on track.

“Have a set day on when you like to do things [helps]. I would always do laundry on Tuesdays because it wasn’t busy,” said Harmon. “Having a schedule will help you figure out when to do things at the best time like you can’t vacuum if you have a carpet during quiet hours.”

When it comes to saving money, the best advice is to actually save it up.

“Put money in your savings account and don’t touch it unless it’s in an emergency and, no, wanting fast food isn’t an emergency,” said McKenzie. “You have a meal plan for a reason, but treating yourself once a week won’t kill you either.”

If the situation occurs when you are not doing the best in your classes, you have resources around you to help.

“Teach yourself if you have to, get a tutor, or work with the people in your class,” said McKenzie. “You only have to deal with this professor for one semester.”

A tip for a successful college academic career is to stay on task with your work.

“When you are working on your work, you have to focus on that and not have any distractions because you have to stay ahead,” said Harmon.

To destress after an immense workload, you can do activities around campus.

“Colleges usually have a crazy amount of clubs and extracurriculars,” said McKenzie. “I suggest getting involved in at least one every semester. Find something you love and join that club.”

These two college sophomores are only two opinions. There are plenty of other additional articles and lists that could help you prepare for your future in college. Not only that, but you could also ask more people you know attending college for their advice. Also, don’t forget if you have any questions that you can’t find answers to online, contact your college to ask.