Showcasing Our Students Art: Ensemble of the Arts

During Ensemble of the Arts, there was artwork accepted from all of the schools in the district.

The end of the school year is quickly approaching, and with it comes many annual events, such as Arts in Action. Arts in Action has been a tradition in the district for several years, but this year it is being replaced by a new event: Ensemble of the Arts.

On April 23, James Buchanan High School hosted its first annual Ensemble of the Arts, in replacement of Arts in Action. At Ensemble of the Arts, there was an art show, along with performances by Messa Voce, Indoor Guard & Percussion, and Stage Band.

Although Arts in Action was a community favorite, Ensemble of the Arts will offer an extended appreciation for students’ artistic work.

“It’s just an art show,” said Mrs. Kayla Chambers-Matulevich (Faculty). “We really felt that as great as Arts in Action was for the community, we really felt that our students’ artwork wasn’t being the center of the show.”

For the students participating, this is their time to be the spotlight in the school.

One of the few stands to sell food, NHS had a baked goods sale, where members Kirstyn Black (12) and Annabelle McCullough (12) sold a baked good to Grace McKenzie (11).

“I feel like in our school, sports are always seen as taking over every other activity, so I think this is a good opportunity for kids to really show their arts because it’s not only paintings, drawings, and clay work, but it’s also with the music,” said Olivia Harmon (11). “It’s a chance to let these kids who are usually over-shined come out from underneath and show who they are and what they do.”

Past years at Arts in Action, there have been petting zoos, food, crafts for younger kids, and other various activities. At Ensemble of the Arts, there will be very little of those things.

“We are considering next year maybe having some performances,” said Chambers, “but if you would go to a college or really any other high schools, and you go to an art show, you are there to view that art, not to see demonstrations.”

Although the art show will be fruitful for the older students, the younger children might not have the same reaction because of its seriousness.

“I think that having an ensemble and having it not be an art competition but like a showcase. It’s more of a serious thing, so people might take the artwork more seriously, especially in high school,” said Harmon. “Also for the younger kids who come around and have artwork, it might not serve them for what they’re looking for in different programs, such as the petting zoo or the art demonstrations before.”

One of the events at Ensemble of the Arts was a show by the Indoor Percussion, where they performed their routine for this year, “The Noise Inside”.

Since this is the first year of Ensemble of the Arts, it is pretty small and there are not numerous categories for the art.

“Next year, I would like to have at least two categories: 3D, 2D, and then maybe Best in Show. This year we are just going to stick to one overall category,” said Chambers.

There is more to the art show for students than just their own creations being viewed.

“I’m looking forward to seeing other people’s artwork. I only ever really get to see mine, to be honest, because obviously, I work on my own art,” said Harmon. “I don’t get a chance to see other peoples. Now, I get to see what they are able to do.”

While Ensemble of the Arts lets the community focus on what students in all sections of art can do, it will permanently replace Arts in Action.