Canning Out Hunger for The Holidays

During the holiday season, giving is a common theme. This is especially important to James Buchanan High School during their annual food drive.

Every year during the month of December, the James Buchanan High School Student Council holds a food drive, placing a holiday-wrapped box in each homeroom for students to fill with donations.

“The food drive is a way for us to give back to families in need and students in our school district by providing them with food and gifts,”  said Claire Kriner (10) one of the three co-chairs of the drive, “It’s been a tradition for many years.”

The food drive this year was organized by Hannah Kimmel (10), Claire Kriner (10), and Sarah Kimmel (10).  

“This is our first year on Executive Council and we’ve never done anything like this before,” said co-chair Hannah Kimmel. “ It is [the food drive] one of the hardest things to plan all year.”

Participation was a worry this year but the outlook for donation volume is looking bright.

“Last year plenty of food was brought in to feed all 32 families in need in the school district,” said Kriner.

To increase the competition and participation, Student Council has included a scavenger hunt aspect to the food drive.

“We have a scavenger hunt to bring in more of certain types of food,” explained Hannah Kimmel.

Student Council also added a reward for the homeroom that earn the most points. Homerooms gain points by bringing in different items that are worth a varying points based on the type of food.

“Whoever has the most points from the scavenger hunt gets a breakfast from Student Council,” said Kimmel.

For the scavenger hunt, items that have a higher-point reward are foods that are higher in demand for the holidays, such as canned meats and boxed meals .

Items that StuCo recommends bringing in would be non-perishable food items and good quality foods.

“When people bring food in, we just want them to be sure they are giving food they would want to eat themselves,” said Hannah Kimmel.

Foods that Student Council recommends bringing in would be boxed brownies, beans, peaches, and any canned- or preserved-meat products.

The food drive will run through the month of December, ending on Dec. 20 just in time to provide the families in need with food for the holidays.