Inspirational Individual

The tremendous results of taking your life into your own hands

Kirstyn Black

May proudly displays the outcome of new lifestyle.

A teacher at James Buchanan High School has a life-changing story to share.  Her weight loss has transformed her life.  She is now less than half the person she used to be.  

The agriculture teacher Ms. Brittany May (Faculty), has taken her life under control.  On June 27, 2016 she decided to make a change in her life.

“I had found my dream job.  I got to teach agriculture in a community that I know and I love, but I was the limiting factor for my students,” May said.

May wanted to give her students the best experience in the JB agriculture program as possible, but she felt that she couldn’t until she made some changes.  She was unable to participate in certain activities and had to cancel others.  

“They were suffering because I couldn’t give them my 100%,” May said, “That wasn’t ok with me.”

Now, nearly a year and a half later, she is able to give her best to her students. Through hard work, support, and dedication she has changed her life.

“My students are my biggest cheerleaders,” May said.  “I would have never expected to have that connection in the classroom.”

The people in her life help to encourage her when she needs support to continue her new lifestyle. Her life has had many changes, but it hasn’t been easy or fast.

“Small habit changes over the course of time because small changes, instead of a complete overhaul, that’s what’s sustainable,” said May, “Making sure I’m taking care of myself: things like drinking more water, getting more sleep, parking farther away, or using a basket instead of a shopping cart at the grocery store.”

These are just some of the many things that May has changed in her life.  May is part of a group called Optavia. Optavia provides her with many supporters and plays a very big role in her life.  

“The program is called Optavia [and] It’s four parts. I have a health coach, I have a community of people who are doing the exact same thing I’m doing; sometimes I’m their support, sometimes they’re my support,” May said, “I have the learning of the healthy habits along the way and then just the nutritional information.”

Through hard times and small victories May has changed her life in many ways.  She continues to share her story with others as she keeps working to make herself the person she wants to be.